Monday, February 19, 2007

lent

so ken has given me permission to try some things this lenten season.
the first thing is going to be a 'fat tuesday' meal at pappasitos on 1960!
we'll get there tomorrow around 7 and will hopefully eat ourselves into a bit of gluttony.
(i might even bring some mardi gras beads...don't get excited rodney, you've got to keep your clothes on at dinner!)
following that is ash wednesday, and i encourage all of you to pop into a catholic, episcopal, or lutheran service...(there may be other denominations doing it as well).
it's short...and they usually do several a day.

for those of you that may not have grown up in a church or lifestyle that included lent...
you can check out some info on wikipedia

i'm usually the last person to be a proponent of anything traditional...
but i'm working on that.
it's real easy to get excited during advent leading up to christmas...
and many times i forget about the time leading up to the crucifixion.
this is a good time for reflection...
and perhaps for our community to try something new.

1 comment:

CzechFest said...

I recently read "A Generous Orthodoxy" and I have to admit that it stirred some things in me. I promptly trashed all of my Catholoic heritage after going evangelical, thinking I had it all figured out.I was prideful and dead wrong about lots of things that I look back on years later now. I am begining to cherish the "traditional and mystical heritage" of my spiritual roots.All of Christs followers groan toward truth and experiencing God in our own ways.I say amen to Ash Wednesday!