Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I like this quote

Youth is not a period of time. It is a state of mind, a result of the will, a quality of the imagination, a victory of courage over timidity, of the taste for adventure over the love of comfort. A man doesn’t grow old because he has lived a certain number of years. A man grows old when he deserts his ideal. The years may wrinkle his skin, but deserting his ideal wrinkles his soul. Preoccupations, fears, doubts, and despair are the enemies which slowly bow us toward earth and turn us into dust before death. You will remain young as long as you are open to what is beautiful, good and great; receptive to the messages of other men and women, of nature and of God. If one day you should become bitter, pessimistic, and gnawed by despair, may God have mercy on your old man’s soul.

General Douglas McArthur

4 comments:

CzechFest said...

So, what are the ideals, hopes wishes and dreams for Wellspring community goers?In listening-meditating this past week one dream is that I would like to "crowd out those arrogant things" to give room for a new approach and improved thinking.One day I might stop in the middle of a busy day and help the poor chap on the other side of the road,sort of loving my neighbor as myself.Hey didn't some guy say something aout this once?

juli said...

i dig it.
you're not really 50, after all.
thank God :)

Rodney said...

Ya man! You're doing it! I'm grateful to have the chance to live with you and to journey with you. I have a hard enough time living that way at the age of 24! Keep on keepin' on man!

KC said...

reminds me of mary oliver's words: "when death comes I want to be the bride married to amazement; the bridegroom who embraces the world". hanging out with folks who celebrate thinking like this is therapy for my soul . . . thanks gang!