Thursday, May 11, 2006

the rich young man

so the more and more time we've been spending discussing some of the monstrosities going on in our world right now really make me stop and think. i blogged on my own page about most of it (which all of you are more than welcome to read), but i want to know what you guys think. it's a touchy topic..so feel free to yell at me if necessary.

when Jesus was talking to the rich, young man and he told him to go and sell everything...do you think he was talking to us too? when he said "everything" did he seriously mean everything? i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but maybe i don't want to hear it. perhaps i'm ignoring it even. seeing as how i don't technically own most of my things (thanks mom and dad) i'm not sure that i could just walk out and sell it all right now. i'd need a little something to eat and something to get around with-but that's it right? being a "token-twenty something" kinda sucks sometimes. i'm in that part of my life where all i care about is me and what makes me happy. i hate it. and i'm kinda mad at Jesus for saying this because now it's got me all torn up inside.

i don't want to let it go either. i really, truly want to know where this leaves us. i don't want this to be some whim or some phase. i really, truly want to live the way Christ is asking me to. hmmm...alright, help me out guys.

2 comments:

texelct said...

I bet you had an argument about this.(Ha)
Here goes my take. The rich, young man was apparently consumed by his possessions and Jesus saw this. Nothing could take the place of them. If thats where your/my house or car is in our heart then yes He was talking to us.
I look at the church in acts and they sold properties and possessions sometimes but it doesn't seem to be something that everyone was doing.
OKOKOK
Here goes my right wing side...... It's mine I worked my butt off for it why are you trying to make me feel guilty about having nice stuff.
whew....glad I got that out. I need a new highlighter.

juli said...

i think that is probably the hardest i've laughed all week! (it is finals...so don't get too excited) oh, you guys make me smile.