Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Free Trade?

O.K. so the blog has gone stagnant. Would you help me revive it?

We've been talking some about a subject that I don't know much about. What do we do about the many people who work around the world in "sweat shops" for very little pay?

What would Jesus do if he were living today? I want to do something - but what? This week I bought a new computer from Dell - (at a great price) I naively assumed it would be made in the US. No - it was put together in Indonesia. I wonder what Dell pays its workers in Indonesia? At the same time I couldn't have gotten the computer without the good deal. What do you think an apprentice of Jesus would do?

2 comments:

Casa-del-Napier said...

Good question. There are so many angles to take when viewing this issue that's it's hard to narrow it down to one or two central arguements either pro or con. I think that I'll ponder this a while when I'm at work and see it I can't gather my thoughts.

juli said...

i think we should protest everything. go live in huts...or a commune. down with the man!

ok, so i'm kidding...kind of. i think that when it comes to things of this nature, we have to first be knowledgable, then prayerful and discerning. i'll be the first one to admit that it would be much easier for me to just go live in africa and not have to deal with any of this, but therein lies the problem: it would be easy. if "africa" is right outside our doors, then i think there will be some things that we'll simply have to pick and choose about. maybe the lesser of two evils?

i don't know what to say about the specific dell question, but i think that we cannot simply be content and lazy to just completely ignore what is going on in our world. there are good companies out there that aren't exploiting people, and we should really try to seek them out.

this is exciting. i'm glad we're talking about it. it hurts my head sometimes to think about it all, but at least we're thinking.