Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lessons from the West Coast

Have you ever noticed how other peoples experiences can lift you as if they were your own?

We've recieved a few letters that discribe the worship service at the MCRD in San Diego and to hear it is so incouraging. "You can't imagine what it sounds like when 300 recruits are worshipping and praising God unashamed." "It is an awesome sight" These are just a couple of things said about it. It was encouraging to hear that . But I have to share the most exciting thing out of the west and I know I won't tell it right so I'm going to quote from a letter we recieved from our recruit. (As many of you know he has had pnuemonia and was in MRP.)

"Oh, yesterday Senior Drill Instructor Sgt. ------- came in and pulled just a few of us aside and he talked about Christians and Christianity. He isn't supposed to (he could lose his job) but he said he felt God calling him to do it.
He talked about how christianity is supposed to be and how most Christians don't see it but religion is destroying the christian body. No matter what religion we should be challenging each other. 'How is your walk with God?' and 'What did you learn today?' That should be what Christians ask each other daily. 2 Corinthians 13:5-9
He also talked about praying. I don't remember what verse he used but it basically said 'Pray with your mouth. Confess your sins to God out loud. You have no reason to be embarrassed.'
It was a good talk. I told Ashley it's a good thing I got dropped because my relationship with God has strenthened."

He goes on to talk about all he has learned while in MRP and how it wasn't the waste of time he expected it to be.
Anyways it was a major lift for these parents of the recruit and a challenge. That we as Followers of Jesus should continually be challenging ourselves as well as our fellow believers to be growing and asking questions like "How is my walk with Christ?" and "What did I learn Today" Okay?

All of this was to say share your experiences with others. You never know when there might be someone who needs to hear your story.

By the way My recruit got RTFD and passed the PFT and is picking up with "Mighty Mike".

1 comment:

KC said...

I've not been keeping up with the blog so I missed this. But I read it after Deanna spoke up a couple of Sundays ago about a desire to be accountable. And this just reinforces that that is a good idea. I'm wondering how we at Wellspring can offer this to one another? Maybe the Thursday night time is a way you guys already do it and if so, I just miss it. But if not, I wonder if there isn't something during the Sunday time? Maybe after we do the creed we can have a share time about how we are or are not living up to it???