Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Grace for all!

GRACE

Recieving what you don't deserve.

MERCY

NOT recieving what you do deserve.


I heard a story about grace last weekend and the reality of it really came clear. I'll try to tell it:

It starts with a man in prison. There is no explaination why he's there, his guilt doesn't seem to be doubted by anyone but he has been there for 14 years and he has constantly been appealing to the governor for release.
Finally the wardon comes to see him and gives him the news he's waited on for years, he has been granted a full pardon. The wardon, expecting a joyful or at least a somewhat happy response, was surprised by the indifferent attitude of the inmate. The wardon explains that they had called his sister to pick him up. When he left he had the cell unlocked and the door opened, though the inmate made no move for the door.

A little later the custodian came through to clean the cell and was surprised to find the inmate still in the cell.
"Why are you still here?"
"I'm a prisoner, I belong here."
"But you've been set free you don't have to be here."
"Yes, I know. I have the paper right here. I just don't know if I can believe it."

The inmate returned to the bunk that had been the center of his world for so many years.When his sister shows up she greets him with some question about why he's still in his cell. He explains he doesn't understand why he has been pardoned now after so many years of trying to get through to the parole board and he's not real sure it isn't some big joke. He confides that he really doesn't know how handle his new found freedom so he opts for the comfort of familiarity. Even though it is a prison cell. She tells him that she doesn't know why or how, only that he is free. She suggests they just take a walk and he leaves the cell with her hand in his arm.


I'm sure I didn't do the story justice but seeing it brought tears to my eyes. I wondered how many people don't accept Gods grace just because they don't understand it. Maybe they just can't believe it could be for them. Since it can't be earned or bought it couldn't possibly be meant for them.

Well my friends (and readers of long boring blogs), it IS for you and me. Gods grace has set us free from the prison of sin if we only accept it. His grace shown to you through his son Jesus dieing on the cross, some 2000 years ago, and rising again three days later. He beared it all. All our sins, all our short comings, all our faults.
That's what Easter is all about. New life through Gods grace through Jesus Christ.


P.S.- I really didn't intend for this to become a sermon with a bunch of "church" words and phrases, but there it is.

1 comment:

juli said...

well rev. mark, you've produced another great story. haha! i think there are so many people that don't even think about the idea of 'grace'...it forces us to deal with a lot of emotions and takes a ton of effort. for me, it's just a lot of thinking and i choose to avoid it, but i like your story- thanks for sharing it. now i'm going to go think for a couple of days :)