Thursday, October 19, 2006

story time

so i'm excited to say that it seems we have a new friend in our midst!
baldpiggy1 i'd like to introduce myself...and my story.
we at wellspring are huge on stories.
the great thing about being here is that we're all so different...and yet with a common bond.
we're students studying to be pastors.
we're teachers...lots of teachers.
we're new parents.
we're baptists, pentecostal, episcopalians, methodists, catholics, agnostics, and sometimes even muslim, jewish, hindu, or atheist.
we're coaches.
we're electricians.
we're moms, dads, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, friends...
we're from all over the world...all under one roof and on one web-page.
we're divorced, single, straight, gay, married, re-married.
we've got masters and doctorates.
we've served in foreign countries, in churches in leadership and laity, in aids hospices, and homeless shelters.
we're musicians, artists, writers, singers...doubters, thinkers, believers.
we've laughed until we've cried and cried until we've laughed.
we've hurt together, we've prayed over each other, we've watched babies be born and family die.
we've eaten together, shared homes together, trusted each other, joked together, become vulnerable, gotten feelings hurt, given and taken forgiveness together, and been silent together.
we're learning together...searching together...
this isn't all of our stories, but it's a start...
for anyone that finds us...stumbles into our story or is asked to join in the trust that this place is not to argue or defend but simply to dialogue and share...welcome.
we'd like to hear your story too.
we say that this blog is the continuation of conversation that happens throughout the days, weeks, months and years that we travel together.
for those near us, we invite you out to meet us. put faces to our stories and allow us the chance to perhaps understand your story too.
we are but people on a journey. the destination will be grand, but the journey...ah, the journey is where stories are made.

3 comments:

tp6795 said...

Don't know if I know any good stories, but here's mine in a nutshell: I'm not studying to be a pastor; have been known to teach; made the rounds of a number of the denominations you listed, but currently planted in a "traditional church" as you call it...denominational identity is not my forte. Have done church leadership and also served in shelters and hospitals. Not much of a writer or artist...known to hit a few notes in the shower (ha!) Like to see myself as a "thinker and believer" more than a "doubter." Have experienced the birth thing firsthand as well watched Believers say "goodnight" to this world...and have seen more unpleasant deaths than I care to remember. Have raised eating and fellowship to "an act of worship" (haha!) Have had to ask for forgiveness to the point I'm an "old pro" at it. Willing to have a beer with a friend for the opportunity of sharing the Faith. Married w/family, but have been touched by divorce in the past.

For the most part a pretty boring sap... :)

juli said...

very neat baldpiggy1, and thank you for sharing.
perhaps if you continue to dialogue with us we'll learn more about your individual story...more than the aspects of our story that align or don't align with yours.

you were up at 1:44AM it seems...for most adults i know that's not too boring :)

tp6795 said...

My own story...hmmm, OK, I'll take a shot at it.

I spent about 12 years in a place in life doing things I'm not particularly proud of and would as soon forget. I had "accepted Christ" some years before and thought I had my "fire insurance." I understood "God loves you" (which actually contributed somewhat to my wreckless lifestyle) and "God will meet you where you are." But, it took awhile to come to understand that "God did not want me to stay where I was." So, in a day of very quiet solitude I was confronted by the Spirit of the Living God, quite harshly. And the harshness was due to the clarity with which He showed me to myself. And what I found (and still find) most astonishing was that in spite of everything He would still talk to me. That epiphany 16 years ago was my first step on a path that has brought me to where I am today...a sinner who is in love with his Savior. Do I consistantly show it in every way? No, sadly I don't...sometimes I find the "Replay" button and those old tapes spin around again...I'm sure it does for some of you who may be reading this. But don't give up! You (and I) don't have to go back and start all over again; we just start where we left off...praise be to God, that is encouraging!

Another encouraging idea...my (and your) good or bad witness is not the evidence of His eternal salvation. No, thank God, His witness (His Word) is the evidence of eternal salvation...this is not my original idea, so don't attribute it to me :)

I've rambled enough for tonight.

Peace and Grace