Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Missing Community

Wellspring . . . Space

Just a short note from Casa-Del-Napier:

I hope that everyone in Houston is well. We have seen some beautiful stuff in our journey across the middle of this great land. Judging by the remarks on Sundays gathering it looks like we missed a good (or challenging) discussion and time of gathering.

Our journey really started this past weekend in Arkansas. We stayed in a Christian missionary alliance camp ground and there were several things that got me thinking but one in particular:


Is there really anything better than simplistic living? This camp is run by a very few people who give it there all to make it a wonderful experience. This camp is not modern by anyone's standards. It reminded me and my brother-in-laws of the movie "The Village." We half expected there to be legends of creatures in the woods to keep people from wondering off. But as I roamed the campgrounds and the trails surrounding the grounds I forgot about the clamoring for the ways of modern culture. My phone had no service, we had no cable or TV (No World Cup or Astros highlights), and the sleeping arrangements were as basic as it comes. But in the short time that we stayed there all I could thing about was God:
*God the Creator, no matter how he did the creation thing it's a pretty cool creation. Hopefully we don't screw it up to soon.
*God the lover, the people who worked this camp love God and I think really reflect the love God has for us and the love he wants us to share with others. The were servants and it made me realize how reluctant I am to serve.
*God the mystery, we got into some good discussions on this trip. Several people we talked to held some very strong beliefs that I either question or don't agree with, but the fact is that we both could be wrong and maybe some day we'll get the answer.

I've gone over my time limit. We miss ya'll and hope that all is well in H-Town. We are in North Carolina and I think we'll have some great stories to share when we get back. BTW, simplistic is great but I'm not going to be able to shake my addiction to my Ipod anytime soon. That is the coolest thing ever!!!!

2 comments:

KC said...

Thanks for this one and the reminder that we're connected even when apart. I'm on a three week tour of the south and I do mean south since I'm heading to Mexico. But I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone July 16! --Karen

Ken Shuman said...

Good stuff - thanks for staying connected to the community even though you're not physically with the community.