Thursday, February 02, 2006

A New Kind of Christian - Chapter Eight

What do you think about other religions? Do you think Jesus is the only way?
When it comes to other religions, the challenge in modernity was to prove that we’re right and they’re wrong. But I think we have a different challenge in postmodernity. The question isn’t so much whether we’re right but whether we’re good. And it strikes me that goodness, not just rightness, is what Jesus said the real issue was – you know, good trees produce good fruit, that sort of thing. If we Christians would take all the energy we put into proving we’re right and others are wrong and invested that energy in pursuing and doing good, somehow I think that more people would believe we are right.
“Are you saying that questions of truth are passé?”
I am saying that truth means more than factual accuracy. It means being in sync with God.
How do you evangelize then, if you don’t try to convince people of truth? Demonstration must accompany proclamation. But there is more. Instead of saying, “Hey, they’re wrong and we’re right, so follow us,” I think we say, “Here’s what I’ve found, here’s what I’ve experienced. Here’s what makes sense to me. I’ll be glad to share it with you, if you’re interested. It’s more like a dance than a conquest.
Could “Christianity” be an enemy to the gospel? We have a lot of our own embarrassments to face. One person said: “I think Christianity is a force for evil in the world.” “I’ve studied Jesus, and I think he was a great Jewish prophet, maybe the greatest who ever lived. But Christianity and Jesus don’t seem to have too much in common, as far as I can see.”
Neo said: “I think some Christians use Jesus as a shortcut to being right. In the process they bypass becoming humble or wise. If people reject Jesus when they hear some half-baked would-be evangelist strutting his stuff and mocking the Buddha or Muhammad, I don’t think they’re really rejecting Jesus. They’re rejecting the arrogance, ignorance, and bad taste of the preacher.
I really believe that the fullness of life is in Jesus. I really believe that not one person will be in real contact with God the Father apart from the work and wisdom and love of Jesus. If I didn’t believe that, I don’t think I could call myself a Christian.
I think that too often Christians falsely accuse other religions of things that just aren’t true. That injustice on our part is an ugly blemish. It brings shame on the gospel and on Christ.
My understanding of the gospel tells me that religion is always a mixed bag, whether it’s Judaism, Christianity, Islam, or Buddhism. Some of it reflects people’s sincere attempts to find the truth, and some of it represents people’s attempt to evade the truth through hypocrisy. Isn’t the point of the gospel – that we’re all a mess, whatever our religion, in need of God’s grace?
“So you don’t think Christianity is better than any other religion? You can’t mean that!”
“I believe Jesus is the Savior, not Christianity.” Is that so bad?

No comments: